Introduction to a Career as a Paralegal
A Paralegal earns an average salary of $44,579 per year. A skill in Legal Compliance is associated
with high pay for this job. The paralegal profession has grown tremendously since its introduction
in the 1960s. Now there are more than 256,000 paralegals working in the United States.
Additionally, paralegal jobs are projected to grow by 18% from 2010-2020.
(1) Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 201213
Edition, Paralegals and Legal Assistants, on the Internet at
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/legal/paralegalsandlegalassistants.htm (visited March 05, 2013).
The free Paralegal Certificate Course is the cornerstone of our Chamber, CARE, IJLEF, and Figeroux & Associates, an educational empowerment project to help members of our community attain job training in one of the fastest-growing careers in the country.
- NACC Members: $50.00 - Non-refundable Registration Fee
Next TRACK begins:
- Non Members: $200.00 - Includes Individual Chamber Membership and Non-refundable Registration Fee.
TUESDAY, MAY 9, 2017 at 6:00pm (TRACK 31)
: Click on Paralegal Certificate Program 1st Time Registration button to start your registration and pay the fee.
Step 2: Go to Active Students Register for Upcoming Courses
and Register for each course you would like to attend besides Legal Research and Writing.
- After completing the registration you will receive a email confirmation.
- The program runs on a first come, first serve basis.
- Classes will be held at 26 Court Street, Suite 701, Brooklyn, NY 11242
- In order to obtain the Certificate students must complete the minimum required
1. Legal Research and Writing (mandatory)
2. Picture This... Your Career Success Seminar (mandatory)
3. Small Business Boot Camp Seminar Series (mandatory)
4. Introduction to Non-Profits (mandatory)
5. The Reluctant Rainmaker (mandatory)
6. Introduction to CLIO (mandatory)
& 4 of our legal courses (10 Classes total)
- The registration fee only needs to be paid once per track.
- Failure to attend to the first class constitutes an official withdrawal
The NACC Paralegal Certificate Course is available on weekdays and weekends to suit your schedule. Successful graduates will receive a NACC certificate of completion.
Paralegal Job Description:
Paralegals perform legal, regulatory and businessrelated research for lawyers working at their
organization. Most of the time paralegals work for law offices, corporations' legal departments or
courts. These professionals also provide legal support services to attorneys. They assist lawyers in
filing materials such as motions, memoranda, pleadings and briefs in various court systems, as well
as accompany lawyers to see clients and/or to go to court.
Paralegals may have to interview clients either by phone or in person prior to referring them to
their organization's lawyers; they may have the authority to accept or reject potential clients.
Paralegals also edit pleadings, technical papers, briefs and other documents, helping review legal
documents to make sure that relevant facts are included. They may have to travel to various courts
to accompany their organization's lawyers, and they may have to train and coach new or more junior paralegals.
An associate's degree or certificate in paralegal studies is generally needed in this position; some
employers require that paralegals have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field. Previous experience
as a paralegal is often required or preferred as well. Paralegals should have excellent written and
oral communication skills, know relevant legal terminology and principles, be able to work in a
team environment and be proficient with basic computer programs such as the Microsoft Office
suite. Additionally, they must be knowledgeable about legal citation rules, legal libraries, various
court systems' rules and relevant filing requirements.
Paralegal Students Graduation - June 23, 2016
Click here for PDF or to PRINT Flyer
The NACC Paralegal Certificate Course
is the cornerstone of NACC, CARE, IJLEF, and Figeroux & Associates, an educational empowerment project to help members of our community attain job training in one of the fastest-growing careers in the country.
Q: Is the NACC FREE Paralegal Program accredited academic?
While we strive to provide a high-level, interactive top- notch educational experience for you - with attorneys, excellent instructors, materials used in law schools and CLE classes, NACC is not accredited by a US Department of Education recognized accrediting body. This means federal student loan aid cannot be used in conjunction with our programs. The good news is that the Program is affordable at only $200.While affordable, we understand this may present a hardship for some, it is necessary for us to maintain this status in order to produce the type of program we feel is most effective for our members which we seek to serve.
Q: My employer might pay for my course. What verification do you provide that I successfully completed the course?
Upon successful completion, you receive a Certificate of Achievement. There is also a graduation, so you can show a picture of yourself with your Certificate.
Q: How long is the Program?
The program is self-paced. This means that you attend classes and complete each topic as per your schedule within your one-year of membership.
Q: How long are the subject areas?
Each topic is 5-weeks; 2 hours per week.
The ONLY Class that is one session, 2 hours is: The Picture This…Your Career Success.
Q: What payment methods do you accept?
We accept cash, money order, check, credit/debit card and Paypal. When paying by check, please make it payable to New American Chamber of Commerce. For Paypal, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and forward your confirmation page once you've submitted.
Q: Do you offer payment plan options?
Typically, no. This Program is really affordable at $200. We do understand that money can be tight and payment plans are offered on a case by case basis. Please call 718-722-9217 to discuss your payment options.
Q: Are the courses offered online?
No, sorry. All classes are in-person at our location: 26 Court Street, Suite 701, Downtown Brooklyn.
NACC Paralegal Certificate covers the following topics:
• Introduction to Legal Research and Writing (Mandatory)
• Introduction to Business Law
• Introduction to Civil Rights Law
• Case study: ABNER LOUIMA vs. The City of New York (NYC)
• Case study: American Indian Influence on US Constitution
• Rules for Radicals
• Stop and Frisk Memoranda
• Introduction to Landlord and Tenant Law
• Picture this... Career Success Seminar (Mandatory)
• Introduction to Employment Discrimination Law
• Introduction to Immigration Law and Citizenship
• Introduction to Personal Injury Law
• Guide to Legal Investigation
• Introduction to Bankruptcy Law
• Introduction to Matrimonial Law
• Introduction to Wills, Estate and Trusts
• Introduction to Patent, Copyrights and Trademarks
• Introduction to Criminal Law
• Introduction to Construction Law
• Introduction to International Trade & Global Business
• Introduction to Credit Repair
•The Reluctant Rainmaker: A Guide for Lawyers & Paralegals Who Hate Selling
• Introduction to Non-Profits
& Internet & Community Radio Hosting (Mandatory)
•Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
•How to apply for a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities Course Outline
Requirements for Application for a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities or Certificate of Good Conduct
APPLICATION BY AN ELIGIBLE OFFENDER FOR CERTIFICATE OF RELIEF FROM DISABILITIES
1. SPECIAL IMMIGRANT JUVENILE STATUS:
•A Step-By-Step Guide for the Safe Passage Immigration Project Volunteer Attorneys
2. NYCLA: IMMIGRANT YOUTH IN
FAMILY COURT - SPECIAL
1. A Crash Course In Office 365 eBook
2. 7 ways to work smarter in the cloud ebook